I am a fanatic about having a WordPress website as the hub of your social media marketing efforts. But, just having a site is not enough to attract clients. You must craft a message on your website that targets and converts the exact people that you want to reach.
Some people are afraid to stake a claim for one group of clients for fear that they won’t have enough business if they limit themselves. But, if your try to go after your whole market you will have to water down who you are and what you write about so much that it won’t attract anyone. You will just blend right in with the other blah, blah, blah type websites.
Now is the time to step up and stake a claim for who you are and what you want your business to be.
Let it show in your messaging and your blog posts. Do that and you will be going after and getting the business that you want.
Starting the new year is a great time to get some clarity about what you are doing and who you’d like to do it for. Try this exercise to hone your marketing message and creating or improving your elevator pitch by writing on each of the the headings below. When I do marketing coaching groups, I am always astounded at how bad people are at briefly explaining what they do. And these people never stake a claim for who they want to do it for. And if they do know their ideal client they aren’t communicating that very well to their referral sources or on their websites. Now is the time to change that by doing this exercise and then making changes to your site based upon the results!
My ideal client (describe in a lot of detail):
My target market (list and describe):
Write an Introduction:
- Who are you?
- What do you do?
- Who are your clients?
Shorten this introduction (synthesize the above into a 30 second blurb that you can easily say and “own”):
See my example below where I did this exercise and then took my ideas about my ideal client and reworked them into a message on my website indicating who could benefit most from my services. I can tell you that by doing this I have been able to attract my exact clientele.
My Ideal Client:
1. Is starting a business he/she is serious about and has been successful in other ventures.
2. Has an existing business and understands the value of a more professional website with current technology.
3. Wants to work with a company that brings business and marketing experience to the design process.
4. Knows about WordPress and the value of a Content Management Website.
5. Needs help creating his/her brand, logo and overall website layout and design.
6. Is an interesting person and is fun to work with.
7. Respects the value of my time and work.
My Target Markets:
- Individuals starting businesses or blogs after leaving corporate positions
- Women who are getting back in the workforce or starting businesses after raising their children.
- New and established entrepreneurs.
- Small businesses and entrepreneurs that want to project a top notch image with their brand and website, both in design and usability.
- People that try to create their own WordPress websites and find out they don’t have the skills to do it fast enough or create the polished design they want.
1. Who are you? My name is Judi Knight. I am a business coach, web-designer, artist and entrepreneur. My company is called New Tricks and our motto is, “It’s never too late”. . .to start a new business, a new website or a new life.
2. What do you do? I help small businesses create an amazing online presence that resonates with who they are and gives them a voice to the world. I am passionate about teaching entrepreneurs to manage their own sites and use social media tools to create a client base who knows, likes and trusts them in order to grow their businesses.
3. Who are your clients? My clients are small business owners, both new and established, who need to create or improve their online presence using the latest web technologies that they can then maintain themselves. My ideal client understands the value of a polished, search engine optimized, web presence tied into social media tools and wants to be able to work on it themselves but realizes the benefit of having an expert who understands business, design and marketing to set it up and teach them to use it.
My Short Introduction( elevator pitch):
My name is Judi Knight and my company is New Tricks.
I am a business coach, web designer, artist and entrepreneur. I help small businesses create a branded, online presence with WordPress and teach them to use social media to grow their businesses.
Now it’s your turn!
Do the exercise and introduce yourself in the comments!